The official site of the
New Jersey Warehouseman
& Movers Association
Intrastate, Interstate and International Moving

It is important to know the difference between intrastate and interstate moving. All licensed movers are regulated for consumer protection, but different rules apply for: 

Intrastate moving or local moving, means that your new residence will be in the same state, regardless of the number of miles that you are moving. The New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs issues licenses to NJ public movers for all moving with-in the State of New Jersey; movers must come to your home and give you a written estimate and a brochure titled 'Important Notice to Consumers Using Public Movers' .

Interstate moving or long distance, means that your new residence is located in a different state. Movers are regulated by the US DOT, FMCSA. Your mover must be have a current DOT and MC number for interstate moving. Since different rules apply, the mover must give you the brochures titled "Your Rights and Responsibilities for Interstate Moving" and a check list called 'Ready to Move'. For more info, visit the American Moving and Storage Association at: www.moving.org. or 

International moving, also called overseas moving, means you are moving out of the contiguous 48 states, to Alaska, Hawaii or to another country. These types of moves are regulated, and the mover must be registered with the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC); Click to download the International moving brochureFor your protection be sure the mover you use is a NJ licensed mover with international affiliations in the "International Association of Movers" (IAM). Also there usually is no insurance offered by the carrier for international moving unless you request insurance.  

All NJWMA movers are licensed for intrastate moving, but many of the companies may also be licensed to perform long distance moves under their own authority. Some companies may represent a van line and serve as an agent for their long distance or international moving, however, most information regarding rules and regulations in this web site deals mostly with Intrastate moving with-in the State of NJ. 


758 Congress Street
Toms River, New Jersey 08753