Tips to Make Unpacking Easier
Moving to a new house can be both exciting and stressful, but it’s the unpacking process that can be the most overwhelming. After all, you’ve just spent hours packing and labeling everything, and now you’re faced with the daunting task of finding a place for everything in your new home. To help make the unpacking process easier, we’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks to help you stay organized and efficient.
Pack with unpacking in mind
1. When you’re packing up your belongings, think about how you’ll unpack them in your new home. Pack items that you’ll need right away in clearly labeled boxes and place them in an easily accessible location. This will save you time and frustration when you’re searching for that one item you need immediately.
Color code/label each box
2. Color coding or labeling each box with the room it belongs to will make the unpacking process much easier. This will also help your movers know where to place each box, saving you time and effort.
Have an inventory of what’s in each box
3. Make an inventory of what’s in each box and keep it with you. This will help you keep track of what you’ve packed and where it is. You can also use this inventory to check off boxes as they’re unpacked.
Take a picture of things like bookshelves, the back of your television, kitchen drawers, the desk area, and tool shed
4. Taking pictures of the layout of your previous home can help you remember how to organize your new space. This is especially helpful for items like bookshelves, kitchen drawers, and tool sheds where everything has a specific place.
Clean your house before unpacking
5. Before you start unpacking, give your new home a good cleaning. This will help you start fresh and prevent dust and dirt from getting on your belongings.
Have a plan & unpack each room by order of importance
6. Having a plan is key to staying organized and efficient during the unpacking process. Start by prioritizing the rooms that need to be unpacked first, such as the kitchen and bedrooms. You can also assign family members to unpack their own bedrooms to make the process go faster. This will help you prioritize what needs to be unpacked first and will help you feel more settled in your new home.
Keep boxes to specific rooms
7. When you’re unpacking, keep the boxes for each room in that room. This will help you stay organized and prevent boxes from piling up in one area.
Break down boxes as you go
8. As you unpack each box, break it down and dispose of it. This will help you keep your new home clutter-free and make it easier to move around.
Have moving day essentials handy
9. Pack a separate bag with essentials you’ll need on moving day, such as a change of clothes, utensils, toiletries, prescriptions, and a phone charger. This will save you from having to dig through boxes to find what you need.
In conclusion, unpacking after a move can be a daunting task, but with a little planning and organization, it can be a manageable and even enjoyable experience. By packing with unpacking in mind, labeling boxes, keeping boxes in specific rooms, breaking down boxes as you go, and having a plan, you’ll be able to unpack efficiently and quickly settle into your new home.
If you have any questions or concerns about your next move, you can contact New Jersey Warehouse and Movers Association – njmovers.com.
Blog submission: Mark Quinn, NJWMA Board of Director and President of All Jersey Movers